An FID card Newton is required for anyone who wishes to purchase or possess rifles or shotguns lawfully. It is good to note that this license will not allow you to purchase large capacity firearms or handguns. For the handguns, you will be required to apply for the LTC (license to carry). There are several limitations that come with the FID. You can ask your gun instructor or local police department for more information on this. In this post, however, we shall focus on the main steps that you will have to take when applying for an FID card.
Know your eligibility
The last thing you want is to submit your application for the FID card Newton and pay the application fee of $100 or for your application to be denied because you are ineligible. Here are some of the conditions that can cause your application for an FID card to be denied.
- Have been convicted of violent crime or violated any drug law
- Have been released from confinement, probation or parole in the last 5 years for adjudicated youthful offender, felony, misdemeanor that is punishable by a prison time of over two years or violation of gun laws for which you were sentenced.
- Have been confined in an institution for mental illness or alcohol/drug abuse. A signed affidavit from a physician which states the condition no longer affects you will help you be eligible for the FID card.
- Subject to outstanding arrest warrant in any state
- You are under the age of 15
- You are not a resident of the commonwealth
- Are subject to a restraining order
Now that you have determined that you are eligible, you need to get firearm training. This is offered by both private companies and the local police departments. The course only takes a few hours after which you will be awarded with a firearm safety certificate. This certificate has to be attached to your application for an FID card Newton else your application will be denied.
What to expect
When applying for the FID card, you will be required to fill out a standard application form. Your fingerprints will be taken. You will also be photographed. An interview might follow. You will be required to pay an application fee of $100.
After submitting your application at the local police department, your fingerprints will be sent to the colonel of the state police in 7 days. The colonel will have 30 days to respond. The card will only be issued if the colonel’s office approves it. You can appeal a denial in the district court within 90 days.