Gun safety courses West Springfield are the first things you need to complete if you want to apply for a gun license. This is because the law dictates that everyone who wants to apply for a license to carry or for the FID Ma to complete a recognized gun safety course. The purpose of this post, however, is to help you understand the things you need to do in order to increase your chances of qualifying for a license to carry.
Determine your eligibility
Even after completing the gun safety courses West Springfield successfully, that is not the only thing you need to do to qualify for a firearms license. It is good to know your eligibility before you even take the courses. This will save you time and money as well as help you take the appropriate action to get the license. You chances of getting a gun license will be reduced if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- You have ever been convicted of violent crimes or violated any drug law
- Have been convicted of or released from probation, parole, confinement for adjudicated youthful offender, felony or misdemeanor that is punishable by imprisonment for a period of more than 2 years.
- You have violated gun laws that led to you being sentenced.
- Have been confined to any institution for mental illness or confinement for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness. In this case, your attorney can submit an affidavit from a physician.
- Subject of an outstanding arrest warrant
- Are under the age of 15
- You are not a resident of the commonwealth
- You are a subject of a restraining order
If any of the above conditions apply to you, it is imperative that you hire an attorney. He will help you know what needs to be done to increase your chances of getting a license to carry Ma.
Complete gun safety courses
Once you determine your eligibility, the next thing you need to do is to complete recognized gun safety courses West Springfield. Completing the safety courses is a requirement for everyone that doesn’t have a Card since June of 1998. The objective is to provide you with the basics of firearm safety. You will receive a certificate after completing the course. The certificate has to be submitted to the licensing authority along with your other applications.
Submit your application
To make an application for a gun license, you need to first contact your local police department. The attending officer will inform you of the requirements as well as the forms that you need to fill. The local police department will send your fingerprints to the colonel of the state police within a week. The colonel will have 30 days to submit a response either approving or disapproving the issuance of a gun license. You will basically get your answer after submitting an application within 2 to 6 weeks.
There are fees that are associated with the application. It will cost you $100 for the application of an FID Ma or license to carry. Persons under the age of 18 pay $25 for the FID card.